Fried Yam Served With Sardines And Hot Tomato
Someone asked me on Facebook how to cook Yam as she came across it in her local Tesco in Wales. She wanted to experiment cooking with Yam so I shared with her this simple fried yam recipe , I choose this recipie as it is a very easy way to cook yam for someone who has never attempted to cook yam before.
Yam is a root growing food just like potatoes and is cooked in the same way that potatoes are. Yam can be cooked by either boiling, mashing, frying, roasting or used in thickening soups with it. Yam needs to be peeled first in most cases before cooking. Fried yam is prepared just like potato chips, but served as large pieces and it is best eaten when it is hot most types of yams get hard as they cool.
The inside of yams can be a little harder than potatoes so when you cook yams by frying or boiling, remember to slice it thinner to ensure that it cooks thoroughly. You can also check your fried yams by sticking a fork inside and pulling the fork out. If your fork has soft yam stuck on, then the inside is not completely cooked. Yam flour can also be used to make porridge or for baking. The flour is made by drying thin slices of yam that is then grounded into a flour.
FRIED YAM SERVED WITH SARDINES AND HOT TOMATO
- 1 large tuber of yam
- cooking oil(poured into a sauce pan)
- 1 onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- pinch of salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tin of sardine
- peel and cut the yam into slices
- start cooking your oil in a sauce pan until it is hot
- wash your yam slices in water and strain with a colander till the yam slices are completely dry
- start adding the yam slices into the hot oil
- turn the heat down a little to avoid burning the yam before they start to cook inside
- turn the yam slices over on each side to cook thoroughly
- when you take the fried yam out of the oil, put them into a colander and allow the excess oil to drain away before serving
THE SARDINES AND HOT TOMATO SAUCE
- you can blend the tomatoes, scotch bonnet, chopped onion and garlic together
- pour the freshly blended hot tomato sauce into a bowl
- stir in a pinch of salt
- open and pour in the sardines and oil over the hot tomato sauce
Your fried yam is ready to be served.