Spicy Lentil And Seaweed Mash
Want to try something new and healthy? Why not try spicy lentil and seaweed mash.
- 200g lentils
- 270g water
- pinch of salt
- olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoon dried sea vegetable salad
- boil the lentils with your chopped onion, tomatoes and chopped garlic for 10 mins, depending upon the intensity of your cooker it may be ready quicker or slightly longer but check the lentils are ready by crushing a few with a fork against the saucepan
- pour the boiled lentil broth into a blender and blend till smooth.
- drizzle with olive oil and stir in spices and black pepper
- add any spices of your choice and salt and that's all. Serve with bread or rice and you may drizzle with olive oil.
- sprinkle seaweed on top and stir together
This smooth mash can be eaten on its own or served with bread.
Lentils are grains that can be either green, orange, or brown and contains both iron and potassium. Lentils can be used to thicken soups, cooked alongside other cereals, or made into a pate. It is fairly easy to cook with lentils quickly as there is no need to pre-soak them. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to cook lentils. You can also make baby food base using lentils as opposed to the common use of cornflour in baby food selections.
Lentils have a high phytate level, this can cause bloating. If you normally suffer from bloating then it is best to soak lentils in a lot of cold water overnight. You should also add lemon juice or vinegar to the water so that the phytate levels are reduced.